|SW 38657 32357 (GPS 43min)||Diameter 21m (meas.)|
|Visits - August 1995 / June 2000||No magnetic anomalies|
Originally one of a pair of circles, this
ring is perhaps more properly referred to as Tregeseal East. The remnants of the
western ring were completely destroyed by land clearance and ploughing in 1967.
The site may have been even more complex however, as aerial photography has
revealed signs of what may be the remains of a third circle to the west, on the
same axis as the original pair.
The stones are of the ubiquitous grey granite, we counted 21 standing and one fallen on our visit, but there were many stones of comparable size lying around the general vicinity. The ground at the ESE on the circle circumference is very uneven and this may fit with reports of the re-erection of several stones in 1932. Although described as being "flattened at the north" we measured diameters of 21.0m N-S and 21.1m E-W.
Another name for the ring is the "Dancing Stones", and yes, once again the legend tells of a circle of girls being petrified for frolicking on the Sabbath.