|Large Pic 48Kb|
|NJ 679 280 (Pub.)||Diameter 26.2?m (Pub.)|
|Visited Aug 1987|
The photo above shows all that remains standing at Old Rayne today. The site is now divided by a wire fence and lies in two different fields, one containing the solitary standing circle stone, the other a sad jumble of recumbent, flankers, and circle stones. When we visited in 1987 both fields were in crop, and the main pile of circle remnants was overgrown and mostly buried under what looked like field clearance stones and rubble, effectively concealed from view. A large stone partly buried in the pile looked like it could have been the recumbent, but all we can say is that it was over 3m long and over 1.5m wide. Excavated in 1856, cremations, pottery, and a greenstone archerís wristguard were among the finds.